Technology survey

Friday, March 26, 2010

Constructivism and Technology

This week at Walden University we are studying about the constructivist and cognitive theories of learning and how technology can be used to help teach our students based on these theories of learning. Dr. Orey (2001) says with constructivism the student is actively building knowledge as they learn and is a learner centered classroom. This what I want to talk about.

There are many ways we can use technology in the classroom that builds upon this theory. We can use it to generate and test hypothesis through a system analysis, problem solving, historical investigation, invention, experimental inquiry, and decision making. (Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K., 2007). Web resources can be a great resource in historical investigation and decision making. My students have used internet resources to help investigate certain environmental issues and to decide which problem they want to work on. The text also gave a website called Smog City which I want to use as another way for my students to understand the knowledge and concern behind pollution. We are also going to be doing studies on the air quality in our area and they can use data collection tools to help keep track of the information. These all involved the student actively building knowledge and makes it more of a learner centered classroom.


Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with
classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
Orey, M.(Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology.
Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/

7 comments:

  1. Hi Laura! It sounds like you are dong a great job of incorporating technology into the classroom. There are so many informational websites that students can use. Data collection tools allow students to stay organized and makes it easier for them to calculate information. There is a great website that allows students to create their own graphs. My students have really enjoying this. It is
    http://nces.ed.gov/nceskids/createAgraph/
    I hope that you are able to use it. Have a great week!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,

    Do you have computers in your classroom that your students can use? I do not and I am finding it very frustrating trying to incorporate technology into my class. I think that working on air quality would be very interesting to students. It is a problem that is real in their lives as well as being something that will affect them in the years to come. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura-
    You have identified some great ways that we can get students using technology in conjunction with learning content material. The sites they listed in the course text sound fun to explore and I will try to explore some when I have time to sit and evaluate them. Blog again and tell us how the smog city site worked with your unit. I hope you have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie thanks for the website suggestion I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn,

    I have 3 computers in my room and one of them is really slow. I usually have to sign out a computer lab. That is a hit or miss whether I can get into one but I try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laura!
    You're welcome. Let me know how it works. Have a great week.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura,
    I really liked how you said you allow your students to do some research and then decide which project they will work on. I think that providing choices to our students makes all the difference in the world. Also, by allowing them to research the options first, they will feel confident that they can successfully complete the task at hand. This is just a great reminder for me as at times it is easier to 'assign' a project. Thanks!

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete